Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Which firewire card for Workprinter 2?

  1. #1
    Kurt
    Guest Kurt's Avatar

    Post

    I know this question has been asked before, but I thought maybe some people have tested the unit in the meantime and can give some concrete info on what works and what doesn't. Roger has already told me that StudioDV works with Premiere, but what about some of the lower priced generic OHCI cards? Makes and models?

    Thanks!

    Kurt

    ------------------

  2. #2
    StopMoWorks
    Guest StopMoWorks's Avatar

    Post

    How low a price are you thinking of? Just pricing StudioDV, I see that it is only $90.!!!.... and you can even buy it at Amazon.....looks like it comes with some simple editing program too.

    Other are more knowledgeable about this (than me), but capture cards can get really $pricey$. The thing that I gleaned from research before getting my cap card & setup, was....... "For firewire (DV, 1394) capture, cards must be "OHCI" compliant (for using with Microsofts Direct X). This has become the standard for IEE1394 devices. Please note that some early DV capture cards do not comply with this standard"

    I got the ADS PyroPlatinum DV card (OHCI) bundled with Premiere6, which cost more than StudioDV. I read the specs of StudioDV (Pinnacle's site) and it does not say whether it's OHCI compliant, but it apparently works with Premiere? My bundled setup definitely works, especially premiere's stop motion capture which is a feature you definitely need for the workprinter. There is also another, less costly ADS card called the Pyro 1394DV which is about $99.,OHCI compliant and comes with it's own editing image handling software. Don't forget, some programs may not have a stop motion capture feature like Premiere.
    Lionel

    ------------------

  3. #3
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try all the different boards and edit software out there. I wish I could so I'd be in a position to give an opinion about the pros and cons of each. Of course, to do so would cost so much time and money that the final price of the WorkPrinters would be unaffordable!

    In my opinion, the real capture board guru around here is Jeff Dodson (digivid). I've consulted with him several times and he's helped a few of my customers get their software problems worked out. I know he and his wife just had a baby so I don't know how much he frequents this discussion board anymore, but perhaps he'll read this and chime in with what his experience is.

    On to another item, at least two clients are using Sony Vaio (did I spell that right?) and apparenty their capture card and Premier allows for stop motion capture with no problem. So I guess that's another option to add to the list but, again, I have no personally tested it.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  4. #4
    Kurt
    Guest Kurt's Avatar

    Post

    Hello!

    Thanks for the info. It looks like the ADS PyroDV card could be the best investment. Since it's OHCI I can also be sure to be able to use it with a firewire hard drive sometime in the future. Any idea why ADS recommends using it with Win 98 SE? The card is listed as Win 98 compatible, but SE is recommended. I'm only running normal Windows 98 so I hope this isn't a problem.

    Thanks!

    Kurt

    ------------------

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Hey, I'm a belts, pulleys, relays kind of guy. Software elludes me.

    Jeff Dodson, where are you?!!!

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  6. #6
    StopMoWorks
    Guest StopMoWorks's Avatar

    Arrow

    Here is a distributor of ADS products:
    http://www.computervideogear.com/dig...4DV.htm#system requirements

    They usually offer substantially more discounted price. The specs indicate that Windows98SE can use more DV camcorders? I am not a software person either. You can wait for someone on this board with expertise or you can try emailing ADS tech support (www.ADStech.com)and ask about their preference of Windows 98SE.

    Remember, even though you will have a firewire set-up, the software may not have a stop motion capture feature (if that is what you are interested in). This pyro card comes with Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.0 VE (lite version) but you can also get it with Premiere6 LE (stripped down, very lite version of premiere).

    This company does offer a pyro platinum DV card that is bundled with full version of Premiere6 for about $250. (USA)....that is an amazingly low price.

    I never can understand why, when software is bundled with hardware, it is dirt cheap....but if you buy only the software, you pay a lot more.
    Lionel



    ------------------

  7. #7
    Cranium
    Guest Cranium's Avatar

    Post

    On the Win98FE versus 98SE thing:
    98SE has 1394 driver support built in. It's definitely worth the upgrade to use SE. FE can be made to work (and honestly doesn't require THAT much effort) but most video software companies will tell you SE is recommended.
    With FE, you'll have to find a 1394 driver (like Texas Instruments) the driver should be included on the CD, at least and older CD.

    ------------------
    Mikel Z

  8. #8
    Kurt
    Guest Kurt's Avatar

    Post

    Hey,

    I guess all I have to do is install DirectX 8.1 and I should have no problems using OHCI cards with Win 98 (non SE). Or is that not what you were referring to?

    Thanks!

    Kurt

    ------------------

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •